The Homeownership for the Holidays program is NOT accepting any new applications.
NHS is offering $3,000 grants for down payment assistance or closing costs to those who attend 8-hour Homebuyer Education class in December or January AND go through Homebuyer Counseling.
The grant is paid directly to the title company. Recipients may use the grant with a mortgage loan with any licensed mortgage lender. The home must be purchased in Illinois.
Register for Homebuyer Education class
- We currently are NOT accepting more applications at this time
- Complete 8-hour NHS Homebuyer Education classes between December 1, 2021 and January 31, 2022.
- Complete NHS Homebuyer Counseling by January 31, 2022
- eHome America homebuyer certificates of completions through NHS also accepted
- Must submit loan documents on a 1-4 unit home
- Home being purchased must be the applicant’s primary residence
- Home must be purchased in Illinois
- Must have purchase agreement by January 31, 2022.
- Must be closed on property by March 31, 2022
This program is available to households earning up to 120% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for the Chicago Metropolitan Area as determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Please see the table below, effective as of April 1, 2021, to determine if you meet the income eligibility requirements:
|Number of People|
In Your Household
|Maximum Allowable Income|
- Bank statements
- 2020 Tax returns and W2’S
- Photo ID AND Social Security card
- Executed Purchase Contract
Please Upload the required documentation to your secure online NHS account by clicking HERE or going to the "Client Login" button on the NHS webpage. You may upload and save documents and login again at a later time to upload additional documents. You may also access the "How to upload document to your online NHS account" resource by clicking HERE.