below is a list of housing policy updates:
NHS Convenes Housing Policy Task Force
NHS recently convened U.S. Senator Dick Durbin's policy staff along with Chicago housing and community development leaders to reflect on the current housing and credit landscape that is shaping our work. As a result of the initial meeting in October two work groups were formed to explore new and innovative ideas to inform housing policy recommendations.
The critical issues being explored by the work groups include:
Housing = Jobs and Economic Development Working Group:
- Housing as part of the national infrastructure
- Access to credit: addressing financial inequities
- Building inclusive demand in our neighborhoods
- Aging in place
- Counseling and education to support responsible homeownership
Regulation & Taxes Working Group:
- Local barriers to affordable housing development
- Implications of potential tax reform
- The impact of the appraisal gap
- Modernizing the Community Reinvestment Act
Our goal is to jointly present our recommendations to address the issues identified above to city, state and federal elected officials. For more detailed information, please see the summary meeting notes and check back to see our housing policy recommendations memo, which will be available in the coming months.